Welcome to our new blog feature! Here, we’ll post updates on our events and exhibits, share interesting finds, and offer a variety of perspectives on our collections.
To start, here’s an image of the museum space in Spence Hall as it looked in 1954. Back then, it was known as the Historical Foundation of the Presbyterian and Reformed Churches.
The Historical Foundation began in 1926 and in 1927 was moved to the basement of Assembly Inn. The Rev. Dr. Samuel Mills Tenney managed the collections until his death in 1939. The Rev. Dr. Thomas Hugh Spence Jr. advanced this work until 1969, overseeing the construction of a new facility for the Historical Foundation, now known as Spence Hall.
In 1983 when the Presbyterian Church (US) merged with UPCNA to form the Presbyterian Church (USA), the Historical Foundation became part of the Presbyterian Historical Society, headquartered in Philadelphia. The Historical Foundation eventually closed in 2006. The Friends of the Historical Foundation, the Montreat Conference Center, and Columbia Theological Seminary were tasked with creating a historical presence in Montreat.
We opened the Presbyterian Heritage Center in May 2008 in the Spence Hall in response to that need for a historical presence. Since then, we’ve been able to reach thousands through education, exhibits, conferences, research, and so much more.
Read more about the Historical Foundation here.
Today’s post written by Aspen Reynolds, fellow at PHC.